Sunday, September 6, 2009

Job Application letter

Job title and description:
Marketing executive of EPChem International Pte Ltd. EPChem International Pte Ltd is a Singapore based marketing, distribution and manufacturing company for special performance chemicals and materials. The products that EPChem actively markets include waxes, polymers and additives, oils and various complementary materials.

Responsibilities:
• Sales and Marketing for Specialty Performance Chemical in South East Asia
• Service existing accounts and provide solutions to customers

Requirements:
• Degree / Diploma in Chemistry /Chemical Process Technology
• Quick learner and dynamic team player
• Good interpersonal and presentation skills
• Self motivated and results oriented

Below is a copy of my application letter.

Block 778 Yishun Avenue 2
#07-1557
Singapore 760778
(+65)82822706

September 2, 2009

Mr. Seah Tze Yang
General Manager of Human Resource
EPChem International Pte Ltd
33 Ubi Avenue 3
#06-18 Vertex
Singapore 408868

Dear Mr Seah,

Application for Marketing Executive

I am very interested in the marketing executive position posted on www.jobstreet.com.sg. When I graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, I would like to begin a fulfilling career in marketing with your organization.

You will note from the enclosed resume that many of my co-curricular activities and work experiences were in relation with organizing of events. For example, I was involved in organizing and setting up a cheerleading team in my junior college. My background includes direct sales experience soliciting customers for NAFNAF label at Takashimaya departmental store. My most challenging and rewarding experience to date was working with Research International Asia Pte Ltd, where I was tasked to complete projects with very demanding deadlines. Through this experience, I have proven to be responsible, hardworking, and persevering. In addition, my years of experience with the school’s cheerleading team has taught me to be an industrious team player and groomed me to be a leader. I believe that my sales and managerial skills and team-building mindset will be an asset to the organization.

In view of your company's objectives and possible openings, I believe that my capabilities are in perfect line with your current needs. If your organization is looking for a dependable, results-oriented professional with a desire to learn, I would be glad to discuss how my expertise and ability may be of help to your organization. I can be reached at (+65)82822706 and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,



Chow Shin Ye

Enclosure: Resume


P.S. Hi all, I'm having difficulties with the font. The website should be italic. The title should be bold and underline. The sub-headings should also be bold. Please pardon these mistakes, I'm trying to rectify them.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Shiny!!

    your application letter is very concise and sincere.=)

    i feel you can improve on your last paragraph to make it sound more confident.You could also state how your studies in Chemistry has helped you. Since it is a Chemical company, i am sure they would be interested to know the knowledge and skills you've acquired.
    Other than that,great job!=)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shiny,

    It’s very good that you have shown your capabilities with examples of the activities you have taken part in! (:

    One minor concern is that the flow of content can be better. Maybe you can organize your content such that you mention the skills that you exhibited or acquired during the activities, after the description of the activities to ensure better flow and reduce repetitiveness.

    I find that you are very polite and sincere in your letter. I like it! (:

    Love,
    Nappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shiny!

    I agree with Napalie that the flow of your letter can be further improved as I had to re-read a few previous sentences to link the next relevant sentence together. It is excellent that you have elaborated your related experiences and skills in your job application letter. Perhaps you can mention your interpersonal and presentation skills as stated in the advertisement. I’m sure this would provide a better match to the company’s specifications.

    Well done girl!

    Peiling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shiny~

    Your letter tone sounds very confident but perhaps your last paragraph may be a little overconfident with the word "perfect", you can use other words to soften the tone.

    Your 2nd paragraph looks abit bulky, perhaps you can break it from "My most challenging.." It is okay to omit "For example.." in your 2nd line, it diminishes the confidence you built.

    Since this is a chemistry-cum-sale position, you can provide some chemistry backgrounds(analytical chemistry: the equpiments you operated on or you can mention you specialized in synthesis in organic chemistry and spectroscopy) to support your evidence.

    Overall, it is a well-written letter~

    =D

    ~ hua ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shiny,

    In view of what we learnt early today, i would propose a minor change in the structure of your application letter.

    Instead of beginning the second paragraph with elaborations on your involvements in CCA, it would be better if you talk about your sales experience first. It will connect better with the previous paragraph, as you ended the first paragraph expressing an interest in a marketing position.

    Ji Wei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,

    Thanks for the wonderful comments. I'll work on it. :)

    I didnt notice the problem about the flow of the letter until now. Thanks for the feedback!

    Love,
    Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shiny,

    Your letter is clear and concise. It is quite relevant to the requirement of the employer as well.

    However, I found that some sentences need more elaboration. For example, " where I was tasked to complete projects with very demanding deadlines. " Maybe you could convince the employer by adding details of the project and how you solve the problems. Furhermore, this details can demonstrate your personal quality such as responsible, hardworking, and persevering.

    Apart from this, maybe u can mention more about your other work experience or CCA achievement to convince the employer that you have good interpersonal skills and you are a dynamic team player.

    On the whole, this letter is well-written and clear. =)

    Cheers,
    Zhi Peng

    ReplyDelete