Sunday, September 13, 2009

Personal Statement

I am a 3rd year undergraduate majoring in Chemistry in National University of Singapore (NUS). Being exposed to Science for more than a decade has encouraged my curiosity and exploration in this field. Its training has also equipped me with the analytical skills, which I am confident, will serve me well in the future.

Apart from excelling in my studies, I am also actively involved in school activities. I have volunteered my service as an orientation group leader in freshmen orientation camps like Science Camp (SCAMP) and Science Orientation Week (SOW). I have demonstrated my leadership skills when the group I led was awarded the best orientation group (OG).

I enjoy playing sports and dancing and this explains my passion for cheerleading as a co-curriculum activity during my secondary school and junior college (JC) days. Cheerleading is a sport that requires high level of team-work. Working with the team, I understand the importance of tolerance, effective communication and team-spirit so as to put up a good performance. I believe my years of experience with the school’s cheerleading team has taught me to be an industrious team player and groomed me to be a leader.

Having a highly independent and self-motivated personality, I held part-time jobs to pay for my living expenses and to gain more experiences in different fields. The part-time jobs include sales executive for NET and NAFNAF label, home tutor and project assistant in Research International Asia Pte Ltd, etc. I have gained many valuable insights and I believe I have improved my customer service, interpersonal skills and organizational skills through these job experiences.

I believe I will soar to greater heights if I continue to display optimism, enthusiasm and stay motivated. Every day is a learning experience; face all challenges with courage and learn from our failures. We only live once, so live life to the fullest.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shinye,

    i have learnt more about you through this post. Didnt know you enjoy sports.=) your school life is indeed enriching.

    However, i feel you could improve on your sentence structure in the 3rd paragraph.you seem to have used too much 'and' in the first sentence.

    Thank you for this post!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shinye,

    Your personal statement is very clear and concise with alot of experiences and soft skills which you acquired from your school and jobs.

    However, overview of this personal statement gave me an impression that this seems a little similar to application letter at the begining of each paragraph but becomes personal again at the end of the paragraph.

    Perhaps, You can phrase your paragraph according to your personalities you acquire follow by how you gain these personalities through different experiences and eventually affect your life. Hope these are helpful. Good luck to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shiny!

    You always give me an impression that you are someone who is spontaneous and enthusiastic in whatever you do. I see that you have participated in a wide range of activities and I believe they have made your school life an enriching and fulfilling one. =)

    I agree with you that every day is a learning experience and we should face our challenges with courage. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you!

    Peiling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,

    Thanks for your comments and critics! I actually made amendments to this post and posted the lastest one separately. Maybe you want to take a look at it?

    Thanks!

    Love,
    shiny

    ReplyDelete